What Makes Great Teaching?

 What Makes Great Teaching?

Great, effective teaching is that which leads to improved student achievement using outcomes that matter to their future success. I selected the questions from the modules that best described strategies that were flexible and empowering. I picked how do we talk about issues that matter because it is extremely important in education and in life to talk about issues that matter with people. That will help us connect better with people and learn about others' experiences and opinions. We need to put all of ourselves into conversations with people on topics that matter, so we can have honest communication and hopefully learn something from them. I chose whose ae told and whose remain in the margins because so many colored people aren't heard or given the chance to be heard, especially in education. It's so common that we hear one-sided history in school because that's what is always taught and people are scared to speak up or aren't culturally competent. I chose is schooling equitable because the topic over examining disparities in education and systemic racism was amazing to learn about. Amazing because it needs to be talked about more and some of the information in this module i didn't even know about. I love the TedTalk by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie because she had great stories and a first hand insight of how schooling is not equitable.  I chose why are schools still segregated because this is one of the most important topics we could talk about. As I said in my top 5 list, it's crazy that Brown v. Board of Education was passed soo long ago and the fact that schools are still segregated is just absurd. We as a society and future teachers have to do everything we can to stop this and be supportive and have equity with all people. I chose do I have the full picture because no one will ever fully have the full picture, but it's up to us to get as much of the picture as we possibly can. It's important to educate yourself and see different sides of every story. These modules heled me learn so much about other people and how to be a culturally competent teacher. This was by far my favorite class, and I will take these lessons and strategies with me for the rest of my life.





Comments

  1. Hey Rebekah, Thanks so much! It is extremely important to teach our future students better than we were taught. Students deserve to know the truth about what's going on in our world and hear all sides of the story. I was never taught about these things, and I want to teach my future students about disparities in education to help them in the future and to may school more equitable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment