Introduction Blog

 Introduction Blog

Tiyana Johnson

1-18-22




About me:

I am a junior at Texas State and I have an adorable, crazy kitten named Coconut. I really want to teach abroad and travel the world. I love to dance and swim at Canyon Lake. 


Why Teach?:

I was first a little interested in teaching when I was a kid because my Great Grandma and Grandpa were teachers. She would always talk about it, and tell me stories, and she had so much fun doing it. Then, when I became a freshman in high school, one day I just decided that teaching elementary students is what I wanted to do. During my junior and senior year of high school, we got the opportunity to shadow a teacher at an elementary school nearby. I choose to do it both years, I shadowed the best teachers and had amazing kids. The first year I shadowed third grade and my students begged me to move up with them and shadow fourth grade, so I did. It was an amazing experience, and I can't wait to teach my future students. Doing that, just made me love teaching even more and I learned so much more about it. I want to help kids expand their minds, grow, and learn good life lessons that help them in life. I just adore kids and they are just so easy going and are much better than a lot of adults lol. 


Educational Aims:

I think a lot, so when I first decided to become a teacher, a million things raced through my mind. What will I teach? What grade do I want to teach? Will I be a good teacher? Is this what I really want to do? Talking to some of my old teachers and shadowing really help educate me more and answer some of the questions I was thinking about. I have always known I wanted to teach elementary age students because I have always loved kids and I couldn't handle teaching older kids. The main grades I want to teach are third and fourth grade, I also wouldn't mind teaching first or second grade either. I probably won't ever teach higher than fourth grade. Shadowing at an elementary school fully confirmed that I wanted to teach these grades. I loved how sweet they were and how eager they were to learn. One day while I was shadowing, I had my hair in a slinky bun and my students said it looked like a croissant and then preceded to call me croissant lady, I thought it was pretty funny. Just little things like that make me smile and I can't wait hear all the funny things my future students are going to say. I'm super excited for all the lessons I get to put together, having holiday parties, and just having fun with my students. I want my future students to not only learn a lot but have fun while doing it. I'm also excited that I will get summer and holiday breaks for the rest of my life. Teaching just fits me well and it's exciting and I love to challenge myself so I can become the best teacher possible. 


Here is my cat Coconut. She is white and has one green and one blue eye.



Comments

  1. Teaching abroad sounds so exciting. I have a former student who is teaching in China right now. And, I have another who is teaching in Alaska. So adventurous.

    What a great experience for you it has been to be able to shadow experienced teachers. Just wonderful, it seems.
    And, I love the kitty in the tree. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your cat is so stinkin cute and I LOVE the name Coconut! So adorable! You seem like a very ambitious person by how you want to teach abroad. That is a great goal. If I could teach and live in another country, I would choose New Zealand because of how beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment